Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Ditz, Not a Geek

True confessions time:   neither a technophobe nor a Luddite, I am not a geek.   After much trial and error, a little head banging, and tutorials from my sons or my husband,  I can usually learn how to work a new piece of technology.  As much as the boys in Cupertino like to tell us, technology is not intuitive.  If it were, I'd be working for them instead of writing a blog about fitness and health. Another confession:  I live in a household of early adopters or lighthouse customers.  We love gadgets.

As I enter my sixth decade I am becoming more scatterbrained and, yes, ditzier. Learning something new takes longer than it used to for me.  But making the effort is so worthwhile! Meditation, yoga, crossword puzzles, social interaction, and a consistent aerobic routine help keep the brain young and elastic.

A study from Canada tested women in their 70s who walked to improve both verbal and spatial memory.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23509628  The study proved that "exercise can positively impact cognitive functioning and may represent an effective strategy to improve memory in those who have begun to experience cognitive decline."

If they can do it, so can I and so can you.

Remember:  walking may improve memory.

The Ditz


No comments:

Post a Comment