Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Step It Up!

Temperatures are warming, crocuses are blooming, and days are growing longer.   I am going to:



I am increasing my daily step goal on Fitbit from 10,000 to 12,500 steps. In addition to increasing my step count, I am going to increase my "floors" count.  For the past month I have averaged 35 flights per day.  I'm going to try to average 40 flights a day. I've got lots of stairs in my future. . . By the way, Fitbit records a "floor" when it records an elevation change of 10 feet. 

I live in New York City and ride the subway.  I never take an escalator when stairs are available. If I must take an escalator, I keep climbing or descending on it, if it is not crowded. Why? Because stair climbing and walking build bone strength.  Osteoporosis effects an estimated 10 million Americans, eighty-percent of whom are women.  No matter your age, if you are female, you should be thinking about your bone health and making intelligent choices about your diet, exercise, and lifestyle.  

Stair climbing  burns more calories than level walking. I don't advocate running  up a set of stairs like the one below, unless you are a young, fit, athlete, or your nickname is "Rocky." Merely taking your time and climbing stairs at a comfortable pace will improve your heart, build bone density, strengthen your core, and tone the muscles of your lower body.  If you feel more comfortable doing so, hold the railing. 




Start off slowly, practice good posture, and over time you will reap significant rewards. Even descending a set of stairs like those in the photo above is good for your body;  the caloric burn isn't as high while descending, but different leg muscles must contract, creating muscular balance. If you experience pain in the knees or hips, or shortness of breath, consult your doctor.    

Let's face it, climbing stairs is a life skill that we don't want to lose as we age.   Move it, and use it!  Move it, or lose it!  Step it up!  






No comments:

Post a Comment