Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Randomness

One of the advantages of walking a lot--5, 6, or 7 miles a day--is seeing all kinds of crazy, random things.  Here's something that struck my eye on a recent walk through Chelsea:

Not a National Landmark


Back in the day, when I ate a lot of processed foods, I knocked back quite a few Thomas' English Muffins, usually slathered in butter and topped off with raspberry jam.  Today one of those muffins--without anything on it--contains 200 mg of sodium. . . or 8 percent of daily caloric intake.  No wonder I was able to lose 20 pounds when I stopped eating processed foods.

I wonder what the muffins from 1880 were really like.  Scones?  According to the Thomas' website, Mr. Samuel Thomas, who emigrated from England, grilled the muffins, which gave them their special flavor. 

Thomas' is now a part of a multinational corporation called Bimbo Bakeries.  What's in a name? 



No comments:

Post a Comment