Friday, April 25, 2014

Still Stepping It Up!

Yesterday Fitbit notified me that I had walked 500 miles since January 8 of this year.   Just one month ago today I increased my daily steps goal from 10,000 to 12,500 and my stairs goal from 35 to 40 per day.  I have met and often exceeded my steps goal on all but 5 of the past 30 days. Distance covered over 30 days is 176.9 miles.  

I climbed 40 floors or more on 15 of the 30 days.  I had 7 days when I climbed more than 50 floors--and one when I hit 101.   I don't like doing too many floors over consecutive days, as I don't want to injure myself.  So far, so good.  My goal for the next month is to keep the same numbers and try to improve it by 5 percent.  I'll do my best to hit my floors goal of 40 flights more consistently and try not to have days that are over 75 floors.  

With spring comes new parts of the parks to explore and new treasures to discover.  Now that there are more people in Fort Tryon Park  I am feeling a little safer about wandering into different areas, specifically the Alpine Garden.  


The Alpine Gardens are on the east side of the Park, not far from Broadway.  In recent years there has been an attempt at restoring the original Olmstead Brother's design.  At the bottom of the steps the first of the spring ephemerals, such as mertensia virginica,  Virginia bluebells are starting to flower:



Along the way I saw the first fiddleheads of the season and unfurled hosta.   At the top of the "Yankee Doodle Steps," so named because George Washington's troops were encamped in this area during the Revolutionary War, you'll  find a lovely magnolia tree and grape hyacinths in bloom.


There are lots more steps to climb and explore in the Alpine Garden.  Every day brings a new surprise.  Step it up!



No comments:

Post a Comment