Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Focus, Focus, Focus

I have had a frustrating few days with regards to my fitness. It's easy for me to take a minor setback and turn  against myself, an unhealthy habit.  Then I got to thinking about Olympic athletes and what remarkable focus they possess.  

Clearly Olympic athletes are incredibly motivated individuals.  They can do and have done the same thing over and over and over and over again so that their bodies move exactly how they want them to. They have mastered their sports to the extent that they can visualize the outcomes that they want so that they win.  Sure, they have physical gifts that I don't have.  But more important, probably, is that they have focus.

Today, after a bike workout where my Garmin power meter didn't work properly, I knew I just had to clear my head, to shift my focus.  I was judging myself for not working hard enough on the bike. The temptation to sit on the couch and feel sorry for myself was great. Despite good efforts with regard to my dietary intake, yesterday the number on the scale was, shall we say, not the one I had been expecting.  

Rather than continue to  indulge in a destructive behavior, I decided to practice a self-acceptance meditation. An internet search prompted me to try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUHTVikjM7k. I settled into a cross legged position on the couch, closed my eyes, and began to focus awareness on my breath, as the guide instructed. I inhaled for a count of four, held the breath for a count of three, and exhaled for a count of six. After several rounds of focused breathing, I shifted my awareness to a feeling of well-being.  I affirmed that I am healthy and fit 60-year old woman with many blessings.  I affirmed that I am eating a healthy diet of whole, nutritious foods.  I affirmed that I am capable of any changes that I want to make in my life.  I went back to watching the breath for a few more minutes and felt the grip of judgment melting away.  

The YouTube meditation was created by Wendy Wallace, a woman who writes a blog for people who, like her, have 100+ pounds to lose.  Wendy, you are doing a great service with your blog and with your self-affirming meditation.  Thank you, Wendy, for successfully shifting my focus! You can read Wendy here:  http://eatsleepmove.com/about/

Meditation is a valuable tool for shifting your focus as you face life's constant challenges.  There are more free meditations of all kinds available on the internet than I can count.  Do you meditate? Do you have a favorite? What do you do when you feel yourself losing focus?  



No comments:

Post a Comment