Tuesday, February 4, 2014

How does Skiing Measure up on the Fitbit?

Stratton Mountain Stratton.com was the scene for two days of skiing  with friends this weekend. Temperatures were in the high teens and twenties, with minimal wind.  Over a 48-hour period we experienced the typical Southern Vermont weather mix  of sun-cloud-gray-airyness-damp-snow-and-blinding-blizzard-with-fog-on-the-summit.  "Airyness" is courtesy of the bulletin board at the Ursa lift on Saturday. We had lots of fun.

So how many steps did the Fitbit record on a typical downhill skiing day?    The first day on-the-mountain total was 4500 steps.   I climbed 10 floors.  The second day I skied an hour less.  I logged 3775 steps and 10 floors, with no active minutes.  According to Fitbit I had two "light activity" days, but I was tired.

Don't let the step count fool you into thinking I was a slug for two weekend days.  Skiing has more going for it than steps. Besides, a flight of stairs in ski boots has got to be worth more than one in Birkenstocks, but the self-analytics devices aren't smart enough to factor that in.  Yet.

Skiing is an all-body weight-bearing exercise.  When not on the lift,  I was strengthening my entire skeleton and warding off osteoporosis.   I was strengthening muscles, especially the gluteus, quadriceps, and the abdominal core.  Hundreds of proprioceptive adjustments are required to maintain balance.  Add to that the endorphin rush, the breathtaking views of the Green Mountains, and the socializing with old and new friends, and skiing is time well spent.

Skiing is such all-encompassing sport that it's one of the few times I indulge and share an order of french fries with lunch. . .




No comments:

Post a Comment